Pulse Staffing is currently seeking an experienced Patient Financial Counselor for a position with a hospital in the Medical Center area of Houston, TX.
Position is responsible for completing insurance verification on all new admissions assigned by the Manager or Director, and for ensuring that all assigned inpatient/outpatient visits contain complete and accurate demographic and financial information. In addition, the Financial Counselor also works with international payers, financial institutions, and foreign hospitals to secure financial coverage for international patients. Finally, the Financial Counselor may be utilized as overflow coverage or during downtime situations for Patient Access Representative.
Accountability A: Performs insurance verification, determines primary, secondary, and tertiary payers and follows up on inpatient and outpatient accounts throughout the entire course of treatment. Accountability B: Meets with the family regarding their financial status to determine potential assistance for third party coverage in a timely and sensitive manner.
Accountability C: Makes every effort to minimize the loss of reimbursement for both inpatient and outpatient visits by securing coverage prior to discharge (unscheduled admissions) or during the patient s visit.
Accountability D: Maximizes the efficiency and accuracy of the collection process on scheduled patients.
Accountability E: Participates in the department s process improvement program. consent, information release, advanced care directives, and other documents required by JCAHO and other regulatory bodies, and obtains required signatures.
- Providing financial counseling to patients
- Maintaining state and federal financial aid eligibility
- Determine the financial status of the patient during the financial counseling process
- Gather demographic and financial information to substantiate eligibility for financial assistance
- Communicate patients estimated financial liability
- Review all payment / financial options
- Evaluate patients financial situation and advise patient
- Provide follow up financial counseling to inpatients
- Providing patient financial counseling and collecting co-pays/deductibles from patients
- Explain benefits, financial obligation, payment options and assistance programs
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described for a financial counselor
- Verify insurance benefits with patients and update company financial records
Knowledge of how managed care plans work and the requirements for insurance coverage. This includes determining the primary payer source and understanding the requirements of admission notification, authorization, and continuing utilization review.
Also required is comprehension of detailed payment methodology knowledge of eligibility requirements for Medicaid, Medicare, CSHCN, and the Hospital Charity program. This includes the ability to identify non-covered services, secure funding for out of pocket expenses.
The Financial Counselor position requires individuals that can multi-task on a daily basis since all job responsibilities are high priority. Financial counselor must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills since they have direct contact on a daily basis with families, members of upper management, physicians/other providers.
Financial Counselors work with both domestic and international insurance companies and must demonstrate a high level of professionalism to ensure collectability of all assigned patient accounts.
Incumbents in this position must be able to handle difficult financial, clinical, and social situations.
EPIC experience preferred.
Strong knowledge of Patient Access functions - insurance verification and registration, etc.
Strong knowledge of Health Insurance, understanding benefits, discussing and explaining benefits, collection of co-pays and deductibles.
Required Education: HS diploma or GED. Bachelor's degree in Business preferred.
Required Experience: 2 years of recent experience as a patient financial counselor.